Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pen and pencil

Some materialistic things have a strange effect on your persona, they are so attached to you...infact you are so attached to it.....You feel so good to even think of it and if its with you you feel like dancing in yourself.

When I was a kid and we in our school had to write with pencil and eraser were their to use if we make any mistake while writing....I hated that....I always was thinking when will i get the chance to write with pen......pen seemed so powerful and authoritive then....but it was not allowed in class, still 2-3 of the boys had that......either they got it from parents or elder brothers and when teacher were not there in the back of the copy they use to write with pen and that used to fascinate us the others.

They even used to give us the chance to write our name or something....the big draw was that it couldn't be erased by eraser and mostly it was a symbol of your being on your own so that you dont need to erase what you write.

My father gifted me a pen which he got from his office and I was so keen that I opened it to see all the parts and when I saw all the parts I remained as amused as I was before opening it coz i didnt know how to set it up and ultimately was slapped by my father. let's say it was worth it.

Ultimately the days passed and we got the chance to write with pen and then it became  apart of us and the fascination evaporated with time. I think it was day to day business. I was a master in getting my pen lost. The major part of my writing in my academics has been done by someone else's extra pen. Since I was so introvert and shy then either someone else's use to ask the very typical "someone has got an extra pen" question.

Days kept passing and pencil got in somewhere in oblivion. it didn't even touch our mind. The mention of pencil were merely color pencil for drawing tasks. At that time "Reynolds 045" came in market.....it looked so classy thin long white cover and in the front bluish glass fixed to it and then the refill tip out of that glass. The blue and later black pen cover. Whoever used that had an impression until and unless i got one of myself which ofcourse i lost soon. However even this passed.

And with time jetter, rotomac, cello etc. started to hold the market....

Also for people whose handwriting was bad, that included me were suggested to use ink pen. Ink pen had another story. I felt it was the messier breed of pen. you would surely get your hand inked if not your shirt. But ink pen was fun to write with it sort of flowed on paper with your hands however I got detached, disappointed and dejected by ink pen when I accidently spilled my Horlicks on my note-book and all the written things were washed away. My love with ink-pen which otherwise was never there ended that very day.

i got back to pencil when the geometry part started.......HB pencils were strictly needed.....ironically I didnt find any pencil which was not HB. nataraj, camlin all were HB. In the instrument box there was one instrument which were used to draw construction with pencil attached to it on one end. However that instrument was more instrumental in piercing due to its needle. It was also used to mark our seat boundaries and sometime used as a dart.  

But this time pencil wasn't inferior....it was simple, effective, useful and sensible. ultimately it was 360 degree and then I realized that a thing more powerful comes with its own problem and a simple thing helps you great deal in complex problems.

Slowly but surely I got away from pen...it made me feel like restrictive and uselessly complex. pencil on the other hand made me feel more pure and innocent and effective.

Even nowadays whenever I try to write something which isn't official or professional and is only concerning to me, I prefer pencil. the glow of graphite looks better as it gets older. When I read my own words it seems it directly appeal to the imaginative part of my brain unlike pen which now seems more mechanical. pencil now is more humane to me, it magically represents simplicity.

Almost all my half-written stories are written with pencil on A4 sheets and I sort of preserve them.

I think it's safe to say that I am very much attached to pencil now . the wooden piece in my hand releases the complications of my thought it seems. It simplifies my personality and make me easy to feel better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your views........